Skip to main content

I am getting married in China!


Before coming to China, I never envisioned finding true love. My sole intention was to hone my craft as an educator and interact with the natives, in order to learn the language and understand the culture. While I have not steered from this course, I have developed an unbridled love for a mister.

Initially, we started off as platonic companions. We would interact for very short periods during the day and sometimes at night. However, over time, we became inseparable. We started cooking together, having lunch together, and engaging in nightly rendezvous.Although only a month has passed since we sparked a connection, the attraction has climaxed, and we have therefore decided to officially tie the knots for a lifetime. 

Who is he? No, not the taxi driver who gave me the wad of cash to hold before taking it back, and no, not one of those men who regularly beg to be photographed with me.

For starters, he is well lettered and hence bears a befitting name. I call him "My Energy Buddy," but many of you know him otherwise. Can you guess who he is? Well, I will spare you the agony of making wild conjectures! He is reading --- the simple act, the simple bliss, my personified prince charming :)

The truth is, I was never an habitual reader. I mainly read what was mandatory or necessary to satisfy personal, professional or academic goals. In fact, a lengthy piece of literature was akin to a baby's lullaby. I would usually feel sleepy from as early as the prologue, or I would start a countdown to the final page or line, even before fully digesting the first sentence.

With my internet moving at a sloth's speed and Netflix and YouTube buffering every ten seconds, I had to find another form of regalement. Thankfully, my dear Bajan friend and mentor started supplying me with varied literary and motivational forms of literature. I would then spend most of my days curled up in bed, completely rapt in reading and expanding my bank of knowledge. 

Interestingly, I have managed to engage many of my Chinese students with notable tales from my literary voyages. These have allowed them to imagine and understand life outside their censored society, while learning the target language.




I have also made a habit of relating many of my discoveries about the Chinese culture to our daily instructional foci. On one occasion, I was able to extend my students' descriptive vocabulary by presenting materials on prominent Chinese moguls whom I met through reading. The minute I projected a picture of Edison Chen, a popular Chinese actor and singer, my female students turned crimson. One of the quietest girls in the class became very vocal and squirted highly suggestive epithets to describe him: "Hot! Handsome! Sexy!" This heart-throb sure had her smitten. Of course, the  males responded with an erect posture and ogling eyes upon seeing the Chinese femme fatales! They were interested throughout the lesson, and expressed sheer enjoyment at the end of the class. Yes! The beauty of reading, knowing and being able to relate!

Presently, I am taking daily dosages of inspiration from Dr. Broderick-Scott's Life Lessons from the Heart. This beautiful exposition conflates psychological theories, biblical quotes and real life experiences to illuminate abysses of despair and engender hope for the future. 


In light of my metamorphosis, I can now personally identify with Dr. Seuss' testament: "The more that you read, the more things you will learn. The more that you learn, the more places that you'll go."

Keep reading!

Comments

  1. Wow. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im shocked I pegged u as a book lover like me... im glad u have fallen in love with it tho

    ReplyDelete
  3. People were always surprised when I told them this. I am happy I have evolved!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dining at a Dog Restaurant

There are many streets in Songyuan with restaurants serving local cuisines. While most of them offer reasonably priced barbecue, porridge, eggs and noodles, there is one that plates out dog, and dog only. Today, I ventured inside to have a firsthand experience of their unusual entrees. Inside the restaurant When I entered the restaurant, I realized that the setting was similar to that of many others around the city. The tables were tidily arranged and were lightly decorated with fresh sprigs of variegated flowers. There was also a noticeably spacious and sun-lit passage. Additionally, on each side of the room, there were pastel draperies at the windows. These inspired a homespun decor, which was delicately accentuated by a sparkling chandelier. Overhead the cashier's counter were framed photographs of the restaurants most delectable fares. From these, I was able to identify the prominent parts of a dog. The head was seemingly baked and honeyed over with a shimmering sau...

How I Survived China

What did I do when the shop attendant moistened his fingertips with saliva just before counting out my change? I ordered more items until di money done ! What did I do when he did the same thing before handing me a bag in which to place the items? I declined his offer, huddled everything in my hand, vowed to have the exact change next time and got myself a durable shopping bag right after. What  did I do after I walked five minutes before finding the supermarket's 'entrance,' and the security guard indicated that I was entering through the exit (She pointed to the EXIT sign.) and then asked me to retrace my steps? I pretended the Chinese characters above the English 'EXIT' confused me, then I proceeded inside. What did I do when the lady cashed my groceries and indicated (in Chinese) that I needed to pay for a 'scandal' ( polythene bag) that I thought would have been complimentary? ( At this point, I had only 5RMB to get a taxi h...

Getting Buff in China!

Being fit and toned has become the new vogue. Although I have never been one to " falla fashin " (copy other people's behaviour , dress or ideas ), I have finally given in to this trend. The inception Once I did my research on proper nutrition, cardiovascular workout and resistance training, I decided on a plan to transform into a sculpted belle. First, I overhauled my diet. I started having steady repasts of fruits and vegetables. Meat was rarely consumed, and I was often hydrated with green juice, green tea and mineral water. What I have started eating   What I have avoided  Gradually, I incorporated routine exercises. I started jogging on an open lot near my apartment. When this became mundane, I alternated between working out to aerobic videos on YouTube and jumping with the support of a skipping rope. However, after doing the latter one night, my Chinese neighbour paid me a visit. From her gestures, I garnered that her roof ...